Search This Blog

29 May 2011

Preparing my 2011 Summer reading







 
Well, five months have gone by and I am sticking to my reading list fairly faithfully.  I read the Javier Marías trilogy (the masterwork so far of the 21st century in world literature), as well as the historical works on 18th and 19th century Europe by Adam Zamoyski, a few brief novels (Levé’s ‘Suicide’ stands out), three collections of short stories, along with some books not on the list, mostly stuff on ethical philosophy and the history of manners.  My book group, which consists of three guys with pretty good taste in literature, has read another Marías book, ‘Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me,’ as well as ‘Blood Meridian’ and ‘Cloud Atlas.’  Our current reads are a work by Mishima and ‘The Three Musketeers.’

So what to read this Summer?  Obviously, I should read the trilogy I neglected this spring, the ‘Writing on the Wall’ books by Count Miklos Banffy.  Another possibility is one I will be pitching to my book group, that of reading the whole of Proust in the span of four months.  Mercy!  As for non-fiction, I very much want to read five books as soon as possible
1.)   Homage to Catalonia
2.)   Cosmopolitanism: ethics in a world of strangers
3.)   The Perfect House: a journey with Renaissance master Andrea Palladio
4.)   Monsters of the Gévaudan: the making of a beast
5.)   Trying to Please: a memoir


We’ll see how it goes.  Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment