Search This Blog

14 October 2013

Ladies and...no, just ladies

 
It was recently ‘International Day of the Girl” for UNICEF and other organizations. Being a father to a little girl, I cannot stress enough the surprise and frustration I feel when I see how we treat girls and women in our “modern” societies, and I am sickened by how they are treated in much of the rest of the world.   

To celebrate the wonderful young ladies in this world, albeit belatedly, here are five images from the history of art I find particularly striking and powerful.  Let’s hear it for the ladies




 A Minoan Fresco










 A Roman image of a girl with a stylus and a book







 Frangonard's painting of a girl reading




Delacroix's painting "Liberty Leading the People"













A drawing of Malala...hero







No comments:

Post a Comment